Dealing with temper tantrums is one of the hardest parts of child care. Often, we find ourselves frustrated and responding in anger when tantrums occur. However, we must remember that tantrums are their outlets. It’s their way of communicating their need when their lack of vocabulary fails them.
Here are some ways to help you deal with temper tantrums.
- Don’t let the punishment be your first course of action. Don’t let anger be your first response.
- Provide a distraction or offer them choices if you notice them about to throw a tantrum.
- Don’t reason with them when their meltdown is in full swing. Let them calm down first before talking.
- Stay calm, hug them, and empathize with them to help regulate their emotions.
- Get advice from a nursery school in New York on other healthy ways to deal with children’s tantrums.
Working with a daycare center in Bronx, New York, to teach your child vocabularies and healthy ways to express their emotions can also help. And we at First Step Family Group Daycare Center can be your partner in helping your child deal with their tantrums better.